The answer on this question depends on your definition of bridal shower. There are two possibilities in general. If you use bridal shower and wedding shower interchangeably, both guests of both genders are invited. If you distinguish between both kinds of parties, bridal shower is for ladies only.
Depending on your view you can set the theme of the shower party and compile a list of ideas for best gifts which are given to the bride in one or to the happy couple in other case.
So let's check the basic guidlines for bridal shower gifts:
- They should reflect bride's personality. An indoor lady, a party girl or career woman have different priorities in life and the same is true for their attitude when presents are in question. Some prefer practical stuff, others always seek hedonistic pleasures and there will always be some who are just too hard to be pleased.
- Many bridal showers are themed parties. Considering the simple fact opening gifts is the main event, these should be in harmony with the theme too. Popular themes as naughty lingerie, tea party, country western or red carpet glam all call for different gifts.
- In last years we experienced quite a few new trends in this area. Among most popular bridal shower gifts we can find so called experience gifts (think about beauty treatments or spa pamper packs) and gift certificates (gift card party can be actually a theme as well).
What about the gifts for wedding shower (where men are allowed, although they would prefer be somewhere else)?
- Traditional gifts as kitchenware are still on the top of the list. If the happy couple already lives together, it is appropriate to consult about their needs to avoid unnecessary or already existing items. There is also a possibility they are renovating their home, so a gift card for hardware store may be a good idea as well.
- If the couple is one of those 'always on the move', a picnic basket of personalized compass and a travel map could be nice presents. Travel is very useful theme for bridal shower and it is a perfect match for destination weddings with possible link to honeymoon.
- When in doubt always give priority to quality, not quantity. One classic piece as silver cake server is in general much better decision than discounted cutlery set with 124 pieces. Your present should not be only useful but has a symbolic meaning too. Classic and timeless items definitely help to set a solid foundation for future relationship!